Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Gratitude


In reading over some of my previous posts, I feel like there has been a really negative tone. This is not my intent. Although there are struggles and trials inherent in being a single LDS woman, there are also many blessings. I am a firm believer that you can be happy no matter what your social status, married, single, divorced. The Lord has given me so many blessings and opportunities that I would not have had otherwise and that have shaped me into being the person I am today, and I am grateful for that. So, in order to have a more positive post, I decided to post some of the blessings of being single.
  1. Opportunity to serve a mission
  2. Pursue a higher education, to date I have completed a Master's degree
  3. Gain experience in my chosen career, which will open opportunities for working from home when the time comes
  4. Self-confidence in myself and my abilities
  5. Self-reliance
  6. Empathy
  7. Time spent with extended family members
  8. Ability to save for and take trips to far off locations
  9. Ability to create my own schedule and sleep in if I want
  10. Learn how to be more social, meet new people
  11. Time for institute classes, Temple worship, personal study
  12. Sole control of the TV remote
  13. Opportunities to pursue hobbies and interests
  14. Ownership of my own home in which I can create my own personal safe haven
  15. Disposable income
  16. Spontaneous activities and trips
  17. Sabbath nap time
  18. Sunday dinners at the parents
  19. Watch movies I want (no fights about chick flicks vs. action movies)
  20. I think one of the most important things I have learned from being single is to do things for me. I used to think, oh I will experience that or purchase this or learn this skill when I am married, or when I have a family. I don't need to worry about that until I reach that point. But I am learning that I am just as important as my future husband and children, and I can and need to take care of myself and allow myself to be happy now, regardless of my married state. If I want to have a clean house, it is up to me. If I want to make/eat homemade bread weekly, I can. If I want to learn how to sew or decorate cakes or can and preserve food, I can do all of that now, simply because I want to, I don't have to have an excuse, I don't have to have a family to use these skills on, I can do it for myself because I am worth it. Which brings me to...
  21. My worth is NOT dependent on my marital status, my Heavenly Father loves me, personally and individually and He has a perfect plan for me, whether or not that plan fits into my preconceived notions what I do with that plan will determine my success.

No comments: